News release from the Laguna Beach Police Department:
This upcoming weekend (Dec. 15-16), the Laguna Beach Police Department will be increasing its patrol staff in an effort to reduce the number of persons killed or injured in alcohol related crashes.
The Laguna Beach Police Department saturates the city with additional officers in order to identify and remove DUI offenders from the roadways during the holiday season. DUI saturation patrols have proven to be an effective method for achieving this goal. By publicizing these enforcement efforts, the Laguna Beach Police Department believes motorists will be deterred from drinking and driving.
The Laguna Beach Police Department recommends these simple tips to keep you and your family member’s safe while on the roadway:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver;
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation;
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1;
- And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
Funding for this operation is provided by the AVOID 26 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.