Christmas is right around the corner, and if you're still decorating your home Amica Insurance wants to make sure you follow some fire prevention tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- When choosing a tree, find one that’s fresh. Fresh trees have needles that are hard to remove from branches and don’t break when bent between two fingers.
- Position the tree away from heat sources like fireplaces and radiators. To keep the tree from drying out and becoming a fire risk, water it frequently.
- Examine all lights for cracks, frayed wires or loose connections. Throw away any damaged lights, and never put electric lights on metallic trees.
- Use candles sparingly, and never leave them unattended. When leaving the room or house, even for a short time, extinguish all candles.
- Put candles on heat-resistant surfaces that can’t be reached by children or pets. Also, keep candles far away from trees, other decorations and curtains, which can all ignite and burn easily.