Submitted by the Laguna Beach Fire Department:
This October, the Laguna Beach Fire Department will be participating in National Fire Prevention Week, which is being held October 6th-12th. This year’s focus will be on preventing kitchen fires, which is the leading cause of home fires and fire related injuries in residences.
The Laguna Beach Fire Department, in conjunction with the National Fire Protection Association and fire departments across the nation, is using the month of October to promote safe kitchen habits while using stoves, microwaves, fryers and other appliances. Four safety tips to consider while using your home kitchen are:
- When you fry, grill, or broil food, stay in the kitchen.
- Maintain a kid and pet-free zone at least 3 feet away from the stove.
- Turn pot handles away from the stoves edge.
- Keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you’re cooking to use in case of a grease fire. If you have a grease fire, slide a lid over the pan, turn off the burner and leave the pan covered until the contents inside have completely cooled.
In addition, throughout the month of October, the Laguna Beach Fire Department will be visiting the local schools and participating in community events to encourage everyone to remain vigilant about the dangers of wildland fires, as we all reflect on the Laguna fire storm of 1993. Today, the Laguna Beach Fire Department has implemented a “Ready, Set, Go” program that aims to reduce property loss by increasing defensible space while developing a wildfire action plan for your home and family:
- Get Ready- Create a defensible home through advances in building construction and fuel modification.
- Get Set- Prepare your family and have a plan, so when a fire strikes you know what to do and where to go.
- Go Early- By leaving early, you give your family the best chances of surviving a wildfire.
For more information regarding the “Ready, Set, Go” program or to obtain a wildfire home consultation please visit the Department website at http://lagunabeachcity.net/cityhall/fire/Additionally, the Laguna Beach Fire Department will be hosting its annual Station Tour Day on Saturday, October 12th. The four city fire stations will be open during the day from 11AM to 2PM. Come meet your local firefighters, tour the fire engines and stations, and ask questions on what you can do to keep yourself and your family fire safe this year.