UPDATE: Eva just posted this to the restaurant's Facebook page: "Thank you everyone for your support. Our storage fire at Eva's was brought under control by Laguna Beach Fire Department at 425am today. See you in a week .... Much love Eva"
ORIGINAL POST: A fire at Eva's Caribbean Kitchen in Laguna Beach this morning prompted authorities to close a short stretch of Pacific Coast Highway for a time, fire authorities said.
The non-injury fire was reported at the restaurant, 31732 Pacific Coast Highway, at 4:33 a.m., according to Deputy Chief Jeff LaTendresse of the Laguna Beach Fire Department. The fire began in a storage room in the restaurant, and was probably "electrical in nature," LaTendresse said, sparked by a light fixuture in that room.
With four engines, two fire trucks and assistance from the Orange County Fire Authority, the blaze was knocked down at 5:03 a.m., LaTendresse said. Damage to the restaurant was estimated at $50,000.
PCH was closed between Third and Fifth streets, but one lane was reopened in each direction by about 6:30 a.m., and a second southbound lane was reopened about a half-hour later.