Submitted story by the Laguna Beach Unified School District:
On Monday, Nov. 5, the Laguna Beach Unified School District, in conjunction with the California Youth Services (CYS), is presenting a parent education event titled "Drugs and Alcohol Usage: What it MEANS and What to DO."
The spring 2012 California Healthy Kids Survey data results will also be presented. The parent education program is 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the Laguna Beach High School Library. Educational resources will be available at 6 p.m.
Irene White, LBUSD Director of Special Education/Student Services, says “Our California Healthy Kids Survey data tells us that 48% of our seniors, 26% of 10th graders and 7% of 8th graders reported having at least one drink in the 30 days prior to the survey, which was administered in the spring. That number is significant and troubling. Marijuana use was also high. Twenty-four percent of current seniors, 15% of 10th graders and 1% of our 8th graders reported using marijuana. We have clearly pinpointed the window of time when teens begin experimenting with drugs and alcohol, and we must work together to do everything we can to decrease adolescent alcohol and drug use.”
Topics to be presented include:
- Current drug/alcohol trends in Laguna Beach and Orange County
- Coming Clean: How to have an honest conversation with your child
- What do you do if you suspect your son/daughter is using?
- Current resources and recommendations from CYS
Presenters for the program are:
- Robert Billinger, Assistant Principal, LBHS
- Detective Larry Bammer, LBPD, Drug Recognition Expert
- Brian Nissen, Orange County Sheriff Department, Drug Recognition Expert
- Margie Diaz, Executive Director, CYS
Mr. Billinger states, “We are pleased to partner with California Youth Services in an effort to bring drug/alcohol awareness and resources to our families so that meaningful conversations can take place at home. I strongly encourage all parents to attend with their son/daughter as we work to reduce drug and/or alcohol use among our youth.”
Parents interested in attending are asked to RSVP to Mr. Billinger at email@example.com.