After its victory over Mater Dei, Santa Margarita moved back up in the poll, giving the Trinity League four of the top 5 positions in the collective ranking of 10 members of the media.
However, the loss didn't impact Mater Dei; the Monarchs remained at No. 2 based on the circular nature of the nation's second-toughest league, according to Maxpreps: Mater Dei beat Servite, Servite beat Santa Margarita, Santa Margarita beat Mater Dei.
A week after losing to Newport Harbor, a victory by Los Alamitos over Edison propelled the Griffins into the top 10. Edison dropped out.
Below is the county Top 10 after Week 8, with first place counting for 10 points, second for nine, etc.).
ORANGE COUNTY FOOTBALL POLL
Text by Steve Fryer, Orange County Register
(Ten members of the media vote each week in the poll)
1. Mission Viejo (8-0, 100 points) Diablos easily disposed of Tesoro, 37-7. Next: At Trabuco Hills, Friday.
2. Mater Dei (7-1, 85) Turnovers killed Monarchs in loss to Santa Margarita. Next: At St. John Bosco, Friday.
3. Servite (5-3, 83) Last-gasp play beats Orange Lutheran. Next: Vs. JSerra at Cerritos College, Friday.
4. Orange Lutheran (6-2, 66) Lancers lost a heartbreaker to Servite. Next: Vs. Santa Margarita at Saddleback College, Friday.
5. Santa Margarita (4-4, 62) Great defensive effort beat Mater Dei. Next: Vs. Orange Lutheran at Saddleback College, Friday.
6. La Habra (7-1, 52) Highlanders jogging to another league title. Next: Vs. Sonora at La Habra, Friday.
7. Tesoro (6-2, 41) Titans were no match for Mission Viejo. Next: At San Clemente, Friday.
8. JSerra (5-3, 25) Lost big to St. John Bosco, which beat a lot of teams that way. Next: Vs. Servite at Cerritos College, Friday.
9. Corona del Mar (8-0, 22) Sea Kings have won 14 of last 18 league games. Next: Vs. Beckman at Newport Harbor High, Friday.
10. Los Alamitos (7-1, 8) Big win over Edison returns Griffins to top 10. Next: Vs. Huntington Beach at Veterans Stadium, Friday.
MARTIN HENDERSON'S VOTE FROM PATCH.COM
1. Mission Viejo (8-0) Can anyone in South Coast League take the Diablos to the fourth quarter?
2. Mater Dei (7-1) Neck-and-neck with Servite but have head-to-head advantage.
3. Servite (5-3) Have wins over Long Beach Poly, OLu and Santa Margarita.
4. Orange Lutheran (7-1) Crushed in the final seconds by Servite.
5. Santa Margarita (4-4) Upset Mater Dei behind Alex Ury, Kyle Sweet and defense.
6. Tesoro (6-2) As one-sided as it was, Tesoro still gave Mission a better game than La Habra.
7. La Habra (7-1) Continues to roll through the Freeway League.
8. JSerra (5-3) Lost big to Bosco, but so has everyone.
9. Trabuco Hills (5-3) Only losses to Margarita, JSerra and Tesoro—in succession.
10 (8). Edison (5-3) Tinkered with Corona del Mar and Los Alamitos in this spot.
TELL US IN THE COMMENTS: What's right and what's wrong with the top 10?